Montana’s Smith River sits firmly atop many fly anglers’ bucket lists. The five-day point-to-point drift covers 60 miles of highly sought-after water, which Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks strictly regulates to ensure this wild and wonderful place is never overrun. Due to the strict permitting, fishing pressure on the Smith is light, and brown and rainbow trout feed heartily on a multitude of biomass making this an angler’s paradise. June brings the golden stones, which make for heart-pounding action, in addition to caddis, attractors, and various other hatches.
The six-night departure will necessitate overnights in Helena or Great Falls before and after the trip (June 21 and 26) with five days of drift fishing on the Smith River, June 22-26.
The trip involves two night’s hotel or lodge stay—one before and one after the drift—and camping in style on the shores of the Smith River for four nights in roomy tents with comfortable sleeping arrangements. Chef-prepared meals and majestic, untouched scenery in Montana round out the excursion.
Smith River five-day float: $4,400 per angler - shared tent/guide/boat. Single tents have a surcharge. Does not include gratuities, hotel transfers, hotel overnights (averaging $100-150 per room/night), meals before or after the float, or Montana Fishing License (approximately $60).
• Cost does not include June 21 and 26 hotel overnights in Great Falls or Helena, Montana.
• Glamping – Large, roomy tents accommodate two guests each set apart with off-the-ground, high-end sleeping cots. A main dining tent is a social focal point offering hearty staff-prepared riverside meals.
• 4 and 5 wt. fly rods are ideal for the Smith River.
• The departure has space for eight guests total.
• Frontiers will assist with hotels, transfers, and additional details.
• Pro Tip: A quality sleeping bag and horizontal roll-top dry bag are optimum gear choices.
South America Department Manager
Hank is the South America Department Manager for our Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, and Chile programs. A Frontiers team member since 1999, he brings over 40 years of fly fishing experience to the table.
Specializes in South America fishing and shooting departments. Plus, fishing in Mongolia and Canada.